Thursday, April 21, 2005

Music Notes

This is probably more for me than anyone else, but when I started paying attention to the music I was listening to while on my run this morning I noticed a couple things. Some music is perfect for my running and other music is not as good or even disrupting. The main cause is the beat. The rhythm of music always gets right to me and I want to align everything I do along with the beat of whatever I happen to be listening to at one particular moment. This is very handy while running as it can spur my to keep up the pace as my footsteps hit the ground to the beat of the music.

I have an ecclectic mix of music on my mp3 player right now, so the songs can be quite different from one another. The first song that I noticed this morning was "Superbeast" by Rob Zombie, it was perfect. Hard and heavy, fast, and the perfect beat. Then came "I Am Hell" by White Zombie (Rob's old band) and it had the same first two qualifications of the previous song but was lacking in the third. It was slightly faster and either it was too hard to keep the pace or it just rubbed me the wrong way to have my foot steps falling off of the beat. The third song was "It's Only Rock and Roll" by the Rolling Stones. I love that song, but the beat was just too slow, I had to skip ahead. The next was "Blackest Eyes" by Porcupine Tree. Another winner, it just made me want to keep running.

After that I didn't pay too much attention until I got to Juno Reactor's "Mona Lisa Overdrive". This was another one that was well suited to my run. But hearing it made me think of something else I had realized about this song at an earlier date. It isn't quite safe to listen to this car while driving along with any speed on the freeway. It makes you want to weave through traffic avoiding bullets and cops. You may recognize the song even if you don't find the name familiar. It is the song played during the huge freeway chase scene in The Matrix Reloaded.

Goodnight, it's too late for me. Especially if I'm going to get up in the morning for a walk! I went over to Paul and Laura's tonight and ended up watching Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle. I had wanted to watch this movie for a while. It was entertaining but not a modern classic in the vein of Napolean Dynamite, Office Space, or Van Wilder. I'll try to give a fuller review another time

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home