Thursday, February 03, 2005

Crazy Dream

I never usually remember my dreams, I really wish I could, but I just don't. So it is a nice occasion when I wake up from one and I can remember it. Especially when it was as crazy as the one the other night.

First of all it was connected to a dream I had had a few days prior. I don't remember the earlier one, but the common thread between the two dreams was that my brother Brian's new dream was to become a master carpenter. That's right. He was taking classes and attending seminars, all unbeknownst to the people he was working for in TV, since he didn't want to quit or be fired from that just yet. Evidently wanting to become a carpenter involved a lot of other more down to earth activities, like contests at State Fairs. The dream began with my whole family at a State Fair like environment hanging out at the animal competition barn. Everyone was inside watching but I went to the basement (I know, barns, like the Alamo, don't have basements) where there was a snake's pit of wires and cords going everywhere. I was stepping over and under lots of them until I came to one particular tangle of cords all plugged into one extension cord that was hanging in the air because the cords coming from the ceiling weren't long enough to let it rest on the floor. Well, I got it in my mind that this wouldn't do at all so went about trying to rectify the situation. I unplugged everything, telling myself that I'm sure the cords weren't for anything important, and pulled and corralled them all so that the extension cord could rest on the floor. Except for one cord that couldn't reach. I just left it unplugged and again told myself that it wasn't important. That is until my brother Matt came down and asked me what was going on. I showed him and he told me that the cord I left hanging was to his refrigeration unit. (I don't know what he was cooling) So we jeri-rigged the whole mess again with that one extension cord hanging in the air. Matt then told me I better get upstairs because Brian was competing. So I did a few more things and headed up. I didn't make it in time for the competition and I met up with Matt outside the barn and asked how Brian did. He pointed out Brian stomping away in disgust and annoyance and said "How do you think?". It turned out that Brian had only gotten second place in the goat competition and he was pretty mad.

Right about then I woke up and a second later Brian came in the front door after hanging out with his friends. I looked over at my alarm clock and it was about 4am. Great, I thought, I'm never going to fall asleep now. Luckily that is about the last thought I remember until my alarm woke me up three hours later.

I was talking to my mom last night and we discussed the possible meaning for a little bit. One of her ideas seemed to fit really well. Brian actually represented me, and his longing to become a carpenter instead of working in TV was symbolic of my really wanting to go back to Minnesota and work for my dad's cabinet making business instead of heading to LA and work in TV. The goat...I don't know. Second place? Maybe that I'll be a second fiddle to my dad...ooo, and maybe that will make me mad or something. The tangle of cords? Maybe represents the computer/IT work I've been doing for so long that I need to walk away from and just let it be. Matt's refrigerator? I don't know either.

So that was my crazy dream. What is your analysis?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home