Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Whew!

I was freaking out for the last 10 minutes. Here I am at work and all of a sudden I can't find my car keys. I know I brought them in because my car is locked and I never lock the doors without the remote on my key chain.

So I check all four of my desk drawers, as I sometimes take my keys out of my pockets and put them there. No luck. Then I start checking my pockets, where I am convinced they should be. First the two front pockets in my vest. Then the breast pocket on my vest. Then the two front pockets in my jeans, including the little change pocket on the right that I never use for anything. Then the two back pockets. Then the two outer pockets of my down jacket. Then the two inner pockets of my down jacket. The keys are nowhere to be found.

In desparation I start checking all of the shelves in my office, where I've never set my keys ever. I know there is a better explanation for missing keys than "they jumped from my pocket to my shelf" but I have to look everywhere. In between checking ever shelf I pat down all the pockets on my person to no avail.

After checking my desk top and desk drawers for the second time and after checking my shelves for the second time and after checking my pockets for the second time I happen to pat in a slightly different place on my hip. What is that shape? Keys! There they are. I look down to where I'm patting and see that I'm patting behind the zippered pocket opening on my vest. What? Sure enough, I reach in...and then back, and my keys are nestled in the bottom corner.

I guess that extra length in a pocket can come in handy when carrying something longer than a normal pocket. But I must confess, this alcove had gone undiscovered in the months that I've owned this vest and it kind of surprised me. I can even fit my whole hand in the space behind the opening. Yes, it's as comfortable as you'd imagine, but I could...if I wanted to.

You can rest assured, I will be able to drive home. I know you're relieved.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home