Friday, November 05, 2004

Ice cream bars

A couple of weeks ago I watched the movie Super Size Me. Ever since then I've been slightly more conscious about what I've been putting in my body. I wouldn't say I've been on a health kick, but I've been pushing aside thoughts like "a quick lunch at Burger King is alright", or "those Totino's Party Pizza's would be tasty enough and they're only $1.33 a piece". (check out this review of Totino's delectable pizza pie)

I've started to think thoughts like "Maybe those pizza's are $1.33 for a reason, and thusly, DiGiorno's must be a little more expensive for a reason as well." I've also paid a little more attention to labels and descriptions of food in order to give myself clues as to the plausibility of it being good for me.

So anyway, it was a secretary's last day here at work today. She brought in some ice cream snacks for the office to say goodbye and thanks for 3 years. I'm never one to turn down ice cream so I had to partake in a little bit for myself. But when I grabbed an ice cream bar something on the label jumped out at me. It wasn't the name of the product, that was "North Star Ice Cream Bar" in big bold letters, which is perfectly fine. What caught my eye was the description underneath, which was as follows:

Artificially Flavored Vanilla Ice Cream Dipped In Milk Chocolate Flavored Coating

My favorite part was everything having to do with the word "Flavored". The more times the word "Flavored" pops up in the description of a product, the more dubious it becomes in my mind. The ice cream bar was talking to me: "You may think I am chocolate dipped ice cream, but really I'm only dipped in something that looks and tastes *like* chocolate."

It sure was tasty though.

2 Comments:

At 8:00 PM, Blogger Steve Eck said...

Hehe, I love the artifical ice cream dipped in some unknown substance that tastes like chocolate. That has to be good for you. Guarenteed.

 
At 6:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this story. I laughed so hard at the picture of you reading the label on your ice cream bar wrapper at a going away party -- must have been SOME party!

One of these days I will actually sign up and then you'll I'll have a NAME
Until then, keep us laughing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home