Thursday, November 18, 2004

Alf and Asparagus

Way back in time, the late 80s, there was a sitcom on TV called Alf. Alf was an alien from Melmac who landed in a family's backyard. As you could surmise, hilarity ensued.

The reason I bring this up is because there was a certain episode where the little boy of the family, Brian, had to dress up as an asparagus in a school play and sing a song. For maybe 15 years whenever I have seen, eaten, or thought about asparagus, that song pops into my head. This has happened even more in the last year as my girlfriend really likes asparagus and so we've had it with dinner on a number of occasions. The only problem is, I don't know if I know the song correctly.

I've tried looking up the lyrics online. The web seems to be a treasure trove of information of this type. But alas, no one seems to have recorded it on a web page. So, I thought, how else could I find out the lyrics to this song? The only answer was to actually get and watch that episode of the show. Through a little more work I was able to procure this very episode: Season 1, 22, It Isn't Easy Bein' Green.

I am now going to put down the lyrics that I have sung in my head for nigh unto 15 years. (I know, I'm a weirdo) Here they are:

Asparagus, asparagus, just put it on your table
Asparagus, asparagus, it makes you more able
Where's Aunt Mabel?

It's that last line that gets me. I can't see how it's correct. But we shall soon see, as I am going to skim through the episode and see for myself. My report will come later in the afternoon.

1 Comments:

At 6:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My sister just called me asking if I remembered this song, and I vaguely did but we couldn't remember where it was from. A quick web search brought me to you. Thank you thank you thank you for shedding some light on where it was from, I think my sister had started to go a little nutty trying to remember.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home