Wednesday, September 15, 2004

An office pasttime

People who like sports and sit at desks all day love Fantasy Football. For the last few years I've been in an online league with Steve and a bunch of his friends from back in MN. Week one of the NFL season brought the opening of the Fantasy Football season as well.

For those of you who may not know what it actually is here is a brief overview:
Players from every team in the league are selected by each fantasy team owner to make up a team comprising of (in my league) one quarterback, three wide receivers, two running backs, an extra player--either WR or RB, a tight end, a kicker and a team defense, with 4 backup players consisting of any position the fantasy team owner wants to have extras of.
Each week your team of players is pitted against another owner's team.
Each player's statistics are tabulated from their real game each week and are added up with the rest of the players on a fantasy team.
The owner with the highest point total is the winner.

I am in a free league that we all do just for fun and bragging rights but there are leagues out there that have 100's or 1000's of dollars on the line. It is a way to make the whole season and every game interesting instead of just watching and hoping for your hometown team. Normally I'd be watching the Vikings game and rooting for the opponent of the Packers, but now I care about more that's going on and while I may not watch every game (some people do) I defintely am interested in watching highlights from other games to see if any of my guys scored a touchdown.

My team (at the current moment--you can trade players with other teams and pick up un drafted players as well) is not too bad, the star is definitely Priest Holmes of the Kansas City Chiefs (who came through with 3 touchdowns last weekend) and the over all strength is my running back corps. I have high hopes for my QB, Michael Vick, of the Atlanta Falcons, after a disappointing first week, and my TE, rookie Kellen Winslow (from the U of Miami) of the Cleveland Browns is supposed to be pretty darn good.

I did win this last week 126.15 to 86.32. You may not care but I'll keep posting how I do throughout the season. I'm sure every single one of my readers will be rooting for me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home