Friday, January 07, 2005

Mmmm, dinner(s)

I've mentioned that I have a pretty good life right?
Two nights ago Emily and Ricarda had a big dinner party at their house. It was the typical Emily party. Lots of people and lots of food. She had spaghetti, garlic bread, pizza bread, burnt brownies (no one ate those), boxed wine, and Sean and Heidi brought cupcakes. A good time was had by all, mainly because there was lots of good food and lots of people to talk to.

Then yesterday at about 12:10pm an old coworker who left and formed his own surveying company walked into my office and said "Let's go to lunch." He owed me lunch for helping him set up his computer at his home office. So we headed to Bar 3 Barbeque. It is a local restaurant owned by a guy on my hockey team. The double meat pulled pork sandwich slathered in the Bar 3 BBQ Sauce might possibly be my favorite sandwich in the world. That was a tasty surprise in the middle of the day.

And finally, last night Sean and Heidi broke out the grill and had a few people over. A lot of people were invited, but inexplicably, almost no one showed up. Oh well, more room at the table for me. I brought over my steak and Sean had this marinade, Stubbs Beef Marinade. Mmmm, man that was good. It was a little tangy and it really brought the beef flavor out in the steak instead of covering it up, it was the best steak I've had in a long time. I had also brought over a nearly perfect loaf of French bread which we doused with butter and a garlic and parmesan cheese seasoning. Yowza, that was tasty as well. Plus, a grilled green pepper, some tasty salad, and then ice cream for desert.

The only problem with all of these great food happenings is my new diet.

Yes, you read that correctly, my new diet.

I'm not doing Atkins, or any crazy strict diet. I am dubbing my diet the "Eat Slightly Less than Brenden-sized Portions Diet".

I have a fairly large group of friends that gets together to eat all of the time. And I'm the guy that is known to eat a lot. I'm just not sure that is a good distinction. Luckily I am not known as the obese guy who eats a lot, but still, I could stand to eat a little less.

So instead of two helpings of spaghetti and tons of bread two nights ago and then two or three cupcakes, I only had one non-overflowing plate of spaghetti, a couple pieces of bread, and one cupcake. Then for lunch yesterday I still splurged with the double meat sandwich, but I didn't have any pop (I almost never drink it anymore) or any side dishes. Then for dinner I had a modest 12oz steak (including the bone) instead of a monster 20oz steak (or two 12oz steaks) or also having a piece of chicken like I normally would have done, and I also held off on bread again and had a very small amount of ice cream.

If you know me and have hung out with me you know how much I love food and love to eat. This is a little tough for me. The bread and ice cream last night were especially hard to hold off on. But, I figure that a week or two of dealing with the small hunger pangs and my body will start to get used to the new amounts of food and I'll be doing better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home