Monday, November 22, 2004

The Incredibles

Steph and I went to see The Incredibles last night. And just like Steve said, it was really good, and you should go see it. It was definitely nice to look at with incredible animation. Those Pixar guys know what they're doing. I'm not sure I agree with Steve's assessment of the hair though, it was definitely good, and maybe I just have a fuzzy memory, but to me Sully's hair in Monsters Inc. still stands on top of the animated hair heap. Though maybe it's just because they're so much of it, and maybe Steve was just talking about human hair.

The movie was both exciting and funny. A classic animated adventure, comedy, super hero movie. How many more of my favorite genre's can they pack in there? I guess there wasn't any kung fu, but I can live with that.

Another thing that Steve mentioned, was the Star Wars: Episode III teaser trailer. I'm happy that it didn't really give away anything I didn't already know about. All it did was whet my appetite even more. Though we'll all have to wait until next May to sink our teeth in.

The only unfortunate thing about the experience was the theater it was playing in. In Bozeman there are effectively 3 theaters. The new Wallace theater at the mall, which has comfy seats, stadium seating, and new everything. Then the Ellen and Campus Square theaters, run by Carmike. Both of those places are horrible. The Campus Square just recently fell behind it's older sibling the Ellen by virtue of the Ellen getting new seats. But both are old, mostly uncomfortable, don't have the newest sound system, don't have stadium seating, and most of the screens have marks and tears in them. The Ellen is ultra old and many times during the winter they don't have the heat up high enough. Luckily this is Bozeman and everyone just wears their North Face down jacket. I'm not sure that paying $8 to watch a movie in jacket and gloves with a blanket is such a good deal. But what can you do? There is no other choice. The theaters all have mutually exclusive movies to choose from. If Carmike outbids Wallace for a movie, you're out of luck.

2 Comments:

At 10:05 AM, Blogger Steve Eck said...

I'm glad you liked the movie, I was afraid all the hype about it would have raised your expectations to unreachable heights.

You are right about Sully's hair in Monster's Inc. I completely forgot about that, I was thinking about it more as Fur, then hair. But I will agree that it is the top of the animated hair heap.

I thought the Incredible's hair lacked a bit as far as looking like realistic human hair. Although I still haven't been able to put my finger on exactly what was missing.

 
At 10:12 AM, Blogger Brenden Johnson said...

The thing missing is probably the same thing missing that makes realistic people not look realistic enough, a la Final Fantasy, or the new movie Polar Express. There is just the rubbery "feel" to them that no one can seem to get rid of.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home