Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Ick

Unfortunately, I don't have much experience cleaning ovens. The only time I can remember having the chance it was cruelly taken away from me by my roommate at the time, Steve, that greedy bum. That is, until last night.

I finally got my chance. I think I've mentioned a couple of times that I'm moving. Well, one of the last things that had to be done was clean the oven and it was my job.

Unfortunately the oven is really old and the cleaning cycle didn't work. But fortunately my new roommate still had some oven cleaning solution from when he moved from Missoula a couple of months ago. So I grabbed that, sprayed it into the oven, and proceeded to clean other things for a couple of hours.

Around 9:30pm (I am super tired by this point, I've been moving for what seems like ever, though it's only 4 days straight) I opened the oven up to see what I could see. I grabbed a sponge and some paper towels and started wiping...and picked up gobs of the nastiest sludge I'd ever seen. Ranging from black as pitch to mostly translucent and differing in consistancy from runny jello(TM) to chunky peanut butter, I went through paper towels like I hated trees.

I can't remember exactly, but maybe I wiped for 10-15 minutes before I couldn't get any more up. I had missed a few spots and there were some black spots that were under other black spots I had wiped away. Since I know how much property management places like to screw people (especially in this town I'm finding out recently) I figured I better try for the rest. I sprayed it down again and went over before work this morning to wipe up the rest. I think I got it as clean as I could, but man, that was some nasty work.

1 Comments:

At 10:57 AM, Blogger Steve Eck said...

That pretty much mirrors my own experience with cleaning ovens. The sludge that comes off the walls is disgusting.

I don't recall stealing your oven cleaning opportunity, but I don't doubt it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home