Tuesday, September 21, 2004

The Continuing Story of a Day

After the football game Steph and I rode over to her house. I just chilled out on the couch with ice on my knee (which was hurting from basketball and hockey) and watched football. Steph was in the kitchen fixing a few things that I was not allowed to see. Thankfully I am lazy enough to appreciate that situation. After she was done with her stuff she gave me the last part of my birthday present, which was a bag of M&Ms candies. The special part was that she had ordered them online in custom colors: maroon and gold. (for those of you who don't know the significance, those are the colors of my alma mater)

Finally, after she had finished making her surprise she also made some garlic potatoes and we went to a friend's house for a barbeque get together. A bunch of people were there and my buddy had cooked up some steaks and burgers. We all just chilled out while watching the Notre Dame/Michigan State game (a friend's brother played at Notre Dame, so she's a big fan). When 8pm rolled around we turned to the Minnesota/Colorado State, which was the first Gopher football I've been able to watch this year. The Gophs scored pretty quickly in the first quarter, so the night started off pretty well.

I got a couple of presents at the party. A couple of friends gave me two books. They are the Worst Case Survival books. Some of the situations that they describe are pretty outrageous, but fun to read about. Another guy gave me a "fake ID" that he had found while hunting that morning. It's a Montana drivers license of a guy that looks kind of like me at a quick glance. We all had a good laugh about it. My friend from Wisconsin gave me a "present" of not burning my gold Minnesota Gopher hat. What a guy. Plus a couple of bday cards. I have great friends.

After dinner the singing of "Happy Birthday" commenced as Steph brought over the cake that I had no idea she had made. My dad had suggested that my friends put on a ton of candles and then laugh at me when I can't blow them all out. It's true, ever since I was probably two years old I have never gotten all of my candles out. Sometimes I just don't blow right, or don't have the breath, but usually it's because I'm laughing too much. Luckily Steph only put in two candles, one shaped like a "2" and another like an "8". I made sure to get both of them out. Of course, right when I closed my eyes to make a wish the Gophers scored a touchdown--what great timing.

I did have a couple of beers while at the party, so I made sure to fulfill that requirement of the BBBBB. You'll see why that's an interesting fact later. The night was still young, we all had full bellies and were looking forward to bowling.

2 Comments:

At 5:55 AM, Blogger newplanet said...

Brenden, your dad sounds super-cool.

 
At 6:49 AM, Blogger Brenden Johnson said...

Indeed he is!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home