Friday, July 30, 2004

It's POP, dang it!

I found this link on a site called geek and proud the other day. (I don't recall how I came across it)

It's a map of the counties of the US showing what word is most predominately used to describe a carbonated beverage or soft drink.

From looking at the map one can clearly see that it should really be called pop. It's only called "soda" in a few key areas. First of all on the East Coast and in California. Areas well known to be filled with nothing but jerks. Then there is St. Louis. I'm not sure what to make of that. And then eastern Wisconsin. Ugh. Don't get me started on those people. Bunch of Packer fans who think that "Favre" is pronounced "farv".

Then there's the South. Yikes. Having sweet Mountain Dew called "Coke" isn't the only reason I wouldn't want to live there, but's it's one of them.

Now I can understand when certain classes of products start being called by their most prominent or original brand. The best example of this is when people blow their nose with a "Kleenex" instead of a tissue. But the thing with that situation is that there is really not that much difference between comperable "models" of Kleenex, Puffs and even the generic brand at the supermarket.

But how could anyone confuse Coca-Cola with the delight that is Sunkist? And who would call Sunkist by another product's name instead of a general descriptor of all soft drinks? No one would. No one except people in the South. And I just don't understand why.

So that leaves us with a bunch of outliers and "pop".
I think you all know what the right choice is.

2 Comments:

At 1:50 PM, Blogger newplanet said...

Think you've got it bad in the States? Think of us over here in the UK. If you're in Scotland (as I am), "soda" or "pop" is either "ginger" or "juice". Yeah, try and work *that* one out.

I once worked in a supermarket and worked the fresh juice and yoghurt aisle. I lost count how many times I yelled for help, only for the so-called "help" to never turn up.

Yeah, you got it - the help turned up in the "Coke" aisle instead of the "Tropicana" aisle.

[Shudder]

 
At 2:12 PM, Blogger Brenden Johnson said...

That's hilarious--I've not spent any time in any other English-speaking country and I haven't heard the colloquialisms for soft drinks in any of them.

Yikes, ginger or juice, I can't imagine the confusion that could insue. What if you wanted ginger (the spice) in your juice (like apple) for whatever reason? And what do Scottish people think Snoop Dogg is rapping about when he's going on and on about "Gin and Juice"?

Thanks for the interesting perspective.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home