Wednesday, July 28, 2004

A couple of movies

Well, the post frequency has gone down a bit lately. Not much is happening in my life. Plus, approximately two people read this thing, one I do everything with and the other I let know what's going on over email. Nobody seems to be interested in what I'm doing any more, not even my family. sniff, sniff...

Oh, wait, was I expecting anything else?

Anyway, I've seen a couple movies on video lately. One I saw at Matt and Jenny's house the weekend I went home which was The Butterfly Effect and the other was last night, Hellboy.

I enjoyed both movies, but when it comes to total enjoyment it all comes down to expectations, with Butterfly I went in with slightly lowered expectations and with Hellboy I had them raised by a friend of mine.

I love That 70's Show, it's hilarious and Ashton Kutcher's Michael Kelso is one of many highlights. I even liked Dude, Where's My Car? ("Stupid, yet entertaining" as a review on imdb says). But I think that fame has got to our friend. Punk'd can be funny, but it wore out it's enjoyment to me after only a couple of episodes. Just in general, Ashton has seemed to go a bit too "celebrity" for me. When I saw the preview's for The Butterfly Effect I was very curious. The premise sounded like it could be interesting but I really didn't know if Ashton could pull it off, he seemed to fit into the Kelso character too well (and it was all I really knew him as).

It had gotten fairly good reviews and a pretty good score at imdb, but I still wasn't quite sure. Imagine my pleasant surprise when I watch it and enjoyed it. The premise was interesting and Ashton actually pulled off the character very well. It even found myself wishing that they'd take each situation and examine it in more detail. (though it was already about 2 hours long) So I enjoyed that one.

Now, Hellboy. I am a comic book fan and I love action films. I have never read any Hellboy comics but the film intrigued me. I had a friend who I was going to go to see it when it came out in theaters but I was always too busy. He ended up going and liked it quite a bit and told me this. He is a bit of a movie snob and we have similar tastes in a lot of movies, so I took his position seriously.

This is the attitude I took into watching the movie last night and unfortunately I came away slightly disappointed. I really liked the character of Hellboy. Ron Perlman did an excellent job. The main characters, including the bad guys, were also mostly well done. Hellboy's sarcastic lines were funny and well timed, but most other attempts at humor fell flat in my estimation. But, the action kind of disappointed me. I can't exactly put a finger on why, but it just didn't excite me.

That said, I did enjoy the movie, just not as much as I expected to.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home