Friday, July 30, 2004

Final(ly) Fantasy

Pretty much everyone who spends any time with me knows that one thing that I don't have enough of is video games. Especially old RPGs for the Playstation.

Well, about the earliest console RPG I can remember playing was Final Fantasy (FF) on the Nintendo Entertainment System. I played it at my grandparent's house in Thief River Falls, MN while there on vacation. It was lots of fun and I had a great time playing it with my brother Brian.

Fast forward many years to the present. The latest Final Fantasy out is FF XI, the last FF I beat was VI, the last one that I played seriously was VIII, and the last one I played at all was X. They are all pretty fun and very popular. Just like with Star Wars I would call myself a fan-boy.

For the last few years Square (makers of Final Fantasy) has been releasing a number of their old games (originally released either on the Nintendo or Super Nintendo) in anthology sets for the Playstation. I bought two of them when they went on sale. First was Final Fantasy Anthology, which includes Final Fantasy V and VI. A great set since VI is widely considered the best FF game even to this day and V was never released in the US. Then came Final Fantasy Chronicles which included Final Fantasy IV and a great non-FF game Chrono Trigger. I have fond memories of playing both of those games. After those two sets they released Final Fantasy Origins which included Final Fantasy I and II. As I've mentioned I have fond memories of I and II was also never released in the US. As one can plainly see, Square knew exactly what they needed to do to take lots of my money. Luckily I was able to find the first two on sale and bought them for below retail, but I was not so lucky with Origins.

They released a disc with two games made in the early 1990s and priced it at $30. Now, they did do some updating and modernizing to the games, but that doesn't erase the fact that they are pretty much ancient games. Here's the kicker--it never went on sale. Ever. And it never went to the bargain bin along with almost every other PS game on the market at some point in the last year or two. The Playstation is considered nearly extinct these days. Nearly zero games are made for it and hardly any shelf space is taken up by this system, but one place was always reserved for a full priced Final Fantasy Origins. Rrrr!

But today. There was something magical in the air today, I could feel it. (though that could be the crick in my back I woke up with) During lunch I had to run a couple errands that included going to Target. While there I figured I might as well wander over to the video game section to see what crap they have on sale. Imagine my shock and elation when I see that they have one copy of Final Fantasy Origins left, priced at a measly $20. Yes, you heard me right, $20. My hand shot forth of its own volition and snatched it off of the shelf. Happy as a clam I brought it home and took the plastic wrap off.

I'll have to post again in a couple of years when I finally put it my Playstation and try it out. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home