Friday, July 23, 2004

Hockey

I played competitive hockey last winter for the first time in probably 10 years. I had played pick-up at the park a number of times in the previous two winters and indeed I had even coached a little bit with the women's club team at the U. (that's the U of MN)

But there was nothing like getting out there where everything really "mattered". What a fun winter time activity, I really missed it and really enjoyed the whole season. One thing that was really exciting was to see much of my skill come back over the first month or so of the season. At the beginning of the season I was merely okay. Over the next month or two I became probably the best player on the team. I played the position of my youth, defense, but I think I was the leading scorer on the team.

Another thing that was fun was to watch the development of my defensive partner. He was a friend of mine who had never played hockey before and was a piece of clay that I could mold throughout the season. By the end we were by far the best defensive pair, we knew what each other were doing and worked together way better than any other pair on the team.

The reason for this post is because I had an exhibition game last night. A guy on our team is getting married this weekend and as part of his bachelor party most of the team (and a few other guys) got together for a game. It was tons of fun, though our team lost 4-2. I got a few blistering shots off, which always feels good. But wow, I am not in hockey shape anymore. By the end of the night I could hardly climb over the boards or skate because of what felt like a pulled groin. Last night sleep came extremely difficult and I woke up feeling very sore.

I'm still a bit tender but I'm able to walk around without much of a limp. I know you're all worried, but I think I'll make a full recovery.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home