Monday, October 11, 2004

Make it all stop

Wow, what a sports weekend. If not for the Vikes pulling one out in overtime I'd be *really* sad. Oh, that and the fact that I don't invest *too* much emotionally into my teams, like some Packer fans I know.

It all started off Saturday morning with Minnesota vs. Michigan. It was a see-saw battle all game with neither team really dominating. The Gophs pulled ahead by four late in the fourth quarter and looked to finally get over that Wolverine sized hump. But it was not to be. Just like last year, the offense stalled when they needed to take time off of the clock (I really question some of the play calling) and then the defense proved once again that they can't hold anyone when it really matters. I think the main thing that hurt was the QB's inaccuracy. All season up to this point he's been accurate, if not amazing. But on this day he was missing open receivers and easy throws. He ended up being 8-22, and the team was 4-14 on 3rd down. That just isn't going to do it. They had a lot of yards rushing, but that was mainly due to an 80 yard touchdown run. It didn't hurt as much as last year, but it still stings. So close.

The college football day went by seeing Penn State (my roommate's team) lose to Purdue. Then Wisconsin beat Ohio State. I hate those Badgers. Then even Georgia lost. You may wonder where that came from. My junior year of college I had a roommate who grew up in Georgia and loved the U of Georgia Bulldogs. He's the guy that got me into college football and made me like the Dawgs a little bit. So if my Gophs aren't in any national title hunt (HA!) I'll always root for the Dawgs. They were number 3 in the country and lost. Ouch.

Then came the Vikings game yesterday morning. I had a feeling of dread going into it, knowing how everything else had gone and a bunch of "experts" had picked this game as an upset watch. The Vikes jumped out to a 21-0 lead but then slowly and surely let the Texans back into it. Close enough that it was finally tied at the end of regulation! 28-28, time for overtime. After an offensive stall and a defensive stop my sports weekend was saved as the Vikings pulled out a win with a long touchdown pass. The extra fun part of the game was that I was watching it at a friend's house. A Packer fan friend's house. They have the NFL Sunday ticket as to make sure they can see the Pack every week. For some unexplained reason the national game showing on TV here was Dallas and New York. So I headed over to Matt's house for the game. We made a lot of fun of each other's team, but I was lucky to have my team pull it out in the end, or I would have been in for some nasty words.

And to cap everything off I get into work this morning and check my Fantasy Football team. What should I see but my team is losing by nearly 40 points. Oh, but that's not all, he still has two players playing tonight, one of which is one of the best running backs in the league, Ahman Green. I'll probably lose by 60 points or more. I'm glad there's no money in this league.

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention the Twins. They lost game 4 to the Yankees, making the series a carbon copy of last year. Though they at least made it to extra innings and made it a little exciting this time around. Sad, sad, sad.

Anyway, that's how that aspect of the weekend went.

1 Comments:

At 3:04 PM, Blogger Steve Eck said...

"Thank you sir, May I have another", would have been a good alternative title. Especially if you watched the Yankees blow the Twins away 8-1 on Friday night (sure the Twins scored a couple more runs at the end, but at its worst it was 8-1). It was painful.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home