Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Visitors?

Its a well known fact that my blog here (along with probably 99% of blogs out there) has a very limited audience. I've managed to keep one steady reader, my good friend Steve. Also, though I wouldn't go so far as to call him "steady", Site Meter tells me that my Scottish friend Newplanet has actually stopped back to my site a couple of times and read some of what I've written. He even left the first non-family comment. (unfortunately it is difficult to reciprocate as fully as I am just not a big fan of reality TV, which has been a major part of his posting thus far) Even my girlfriend didn't stay interested more than a week or so. I told my whole family that they could read regular updates of my "adventures" and thoughts but it turned out to be a little difficult to transfer the information from either the phone or email to an actual web browser and subsequent bookmark (my parents) or the person is always just a little too busy (my brother Brian). Alas, but no real matter. I knew that I would have an audience of approximately one when I started this thing.

Every once in a while Site Meter will tell me that someone stopped in for nearly 1 second from the Recently Updated Blogs page. But tonight I had a couple of visitors come in from random blogs which I thought was odd. Until I remembered what I had seen just a few minutes earlier, the new Blogger bar at the top of my blog. It has a google search box and a "Next Blog" button on it. I looked at the two other blogs and of course there was no hard link to my site, I just got picked by the "next blog" script. I tried the button out a few times from my own blog and the first one I hit was a bit of a shocker. Some pictures of scantily clad, soaking wet men greeted me. Not really my kind of site. Just to make sure it was random and this wasn't the site "right after mine" in blogger.com's lists, I went back to my site and clicked next again. Phew! Something different.

One thing that still strikes me as odd though is that blogger.com blogs aren't crawled by Google. The new search bar above someone's blog (mine for example) cannot be used to search for that blog! Blogger is owned by Google yet Google doesn't know I exist. I can search for myself on Yahoo (#1) Search(#6) but not Google? I just find it odd. No matter. Even though it was fun when I saw that someone found my site by searching for "nunchaku glow chucks"on uk.search.yahoo.com (#24) (#22 on search.yahoo.com incidentaly) I don't think I'm going to get a lot of readers though search engines.

I guess there wasn't really a point to this, just some thoughts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home