Wednesday, August 11, 2004

Olympics

So the Olympics have started (women's soccer has had a few matches already) and the opening ceremonies are coming up on Friday. As with most of the recent Summer games, the Americans are expected to do very well and come home with the most medals (which, of course, is not supposed to be the point of the games but has turned into the point). Two events with the US team being noticeably missing are men's soccer and baseball.

I had read it a few days ago and didn't really think about it but was looking up some articles today and found that both teams were elimated by Mexico. How about that?

We invented baseball. It's our "national pasttime". We're the defending gold medalists. How come we lost to a Mexican team that had gone 1-3 in the qualifying tournament? Ouch, and to our rivals to the south, that has to hurt.

And soccer. Okay, we didn't invent the game by any means, but the sport has made great strides in our country. We placed 4th in the 2002 World Cub, we got the silver medal in the Sydney olympics. I was a little confused though, the teams trying to qualify and play in the olympics are not the World Cup teams, the olympic teams are under-23 teams. But it is disappointing nonetheless.

I don't know how much I'll actually watch the Games, probably some of the sprint finals and maybe any finals where Michael Phelps is trying for his 8 medals. But I'm sure that I'll be following everything along online. I do wish they showed more Table Tennis on TV, I love watching that sport played at high levels. And who knew that trampoline was an olympic event? I may have to check that out. I'm sure some fairly impressive aerial twisting and turning will take place.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home