Tuesday, July 06, 2004

4th of July Weekend part 1 (The Great One)

Well, I'll try to post some pictures sometime soon, but I can't find the transfer cable for my camera, so just words will have to suffice for now.

On Saturday my friend Sean and I decided to set out on our annual tradition of hiking and skiing "The Great One". It is a chute in the northern Bridgers that is very north facing and protected by huge rock walls such that it holds snow very late in the year. This was the third year in a row that we have done this around the 4th of July weekend. Stephanie came with us for the hike, though not to ski. The only problem this year is that I'm probably in the worst shape I've been since I've moved to Montana. Ahead of me was a hike of more than two miles (one way) while climbing more than 2000 vertical feet, with a huge load strapped to my back.


For the first half hour or so I was really wondering if it was a smart idea to be doing this hike. The stainless steel skis with ski boots in the bindings strapped to my back were really starting to take their toll. Finally, at about the hour mark we all made it to the saddle (~9000') between the two of the highest peaks in the Bridger Range, Sacagawea (9665') and Hardscrabble (9575'). We sat down for a much needed rest, knowing that the worst was mostly behind us. Since it is still relatively early in the season, there are parts of the trail that are still completely covered by snow. This can make for a shorter hike, as you basically just hike straight up the snow field, it is much more difficult than walking up switchbacks.

After our (too) short break we started up again, but I was feeling much better at this point. After maybe 20-30 minutes we hiked to probably 150-200' below Sacagawea peak and then turned off of the main trail. The path to the Great One leads off across basically a rock field that has a small path flattened out through it. At one point (you just kind of have to know the point) you turn off the trail and scramble up over rocks and and to the ridge line. Then you climb down 20' to the mouth of the Great One.

We had finally made it. Sean and I sluffed our packs off and broke into the food. It was a beautiful day with the sun shining all around us. There were already a few skiers up there who were just starting down the chute as we arrived. As we sat there eating and getting our gear ready 7 more people showed up! I couldn't believe how busy it was up there. After a snack I got into my jacket and ski pants, which feels weird to wear on July 3rd, though there is no way I'm going to chance a fall without my whole body covered. Stephanie setup with my video camera on an outcropping of the huge rock wall that protects the chute from the sun. She taped both Sean and I as we made our decents. The snow was mostly soft and very easy to turn it. The run was great. It takes maybe 15-20 minutes to get to the end of the snow, where you get out of everything, pack it back up and return it all to your back. I did fall once, sliding on my side for 10-20 feet, digging my elbow in to slow myself down enough to be able to dig my ski edges in for a full stop. I can't imagine how that would have felt with a t-shirt on.

Then the end is a 30-40 minute hike down through a forest to the rim of Fairy Lake. We hiked around it while watching people swimming and fishing. Finally reaching the parking lot we sluffed our packs off and sat down. Then it was just a 10 minute wait for Stephanie to get back down, she had hiked back the way we had come up.

What a day. When we got back into town we grilled up some huge burgers and shortly thereafter we had all gone our separate ways and taken well-deserved naps. Then that evening we walked downtown for some well-deserved ice cream. And that was about that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home